Friday, October 23, 2009

Story Behind the Pictures: Alphabet Soup for Cross Stitchers




Every Friday on my artists' blog, I share a new "Story Behind the Picture," so I thought I'd repost this week's story here so that everyone involved in the SYHO project could share in the on-going process of the series and understand why it is so meaningful to me.

When these beautiful pieces arrive to me, I can't help but marvel at the time and love poured into each one. Some are actual stitched designs, some are creative tools to make stitchers' lives easier, but all are little pieces of art. Little pieces of art that connect generations of women who teach one another and keep the traditions their mothers and grandmothers taught to them. It was once forbidden for a gathering of three or more women to stitch or weave together: the churches feared the power of such unchaperoned meetings, feared the agency and power associated with creating such elaborate and bewitching designs, feared the outcome if too many women were united in their single pursuit. Silly, isn't it, to think that something woven or stitched by a women would be dangerous? Yes, I suppose, unless you've read the story of Medea...

These images are a tribute to the beautiful art of cross stitch that should be treasured - and taught - for endless years to come. Keep stitching, ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails